Thursday, July 14, 2011

BUENA PINTA BUENA MANDARINA

So I reneged on my solemn and serious notion that I would not have a Blog, but here I am typing my first entry. What can I say, I have been in Peru for about a month now, and I just can't help but find something to write about almost every day, so for the benefit of those I love and cherish, I will attempt to capture those moments for you and let you know what is going on in my Peace Corps life.

I have been quite enjoying my new life as a gringo, which is quite different from being a guiri (the Spain word for gringo). Being an American here in Yanacoto, Chosica, and Santa Eulalia (my regular hot spots) is somewhat like being in a zoo and also like being a celebrity. Yes, I'm literally talking about signing autographs, and also getting relentless stares from the locals, which don't stop once you start staring back. Not that I am complaining, I think anyone that knows me would say I am never tired of the Lime Light.

So far most of the Peruvians have been more than great, although sometimes confused by my Murcian accent and my over use of vosotros (which I have to this day not been able to explain what that is to a Peruvian), I can recommend that everyone should come visit this beautiful country.

I have all the confidence that this feeling will ebb and flow during my two years of service, but I am enjoying the Honey Moon phase of my culture shock at this point.

Daily Dinámica: No need to ask your local Peruvian where the fruit is, just listen for "Buena piña, buena mandarina" coming from any loud speaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment