Saturday, July 30, 2011

IT’S ALL GREY SKIES FROM HERE ON OUT

Waiting for our van to arrive to go to Lima, I had very few expectations. Unlike many others, I didn’t exactly do much…or any research on Perú and its highlights. I found out I was leaving for Peace Corps in the middle of April, with about two months to prepare, so I was more concerned with what to do with Alphonse, my beloved Siamese. So each adventure has been like a toddler in the kitchen without those cabinet locks.

Riding into Lima was much like arriving at a crowded club, only instead of people, we found vehicles. Each car, combi, and truck was trying to find its space, hugging up next to one another to try and get to the bar. With great skill, our drivers dropped off the mounds of trainees and we found ourself in the big city for the first time after almost a month. I like many others busted out my fresh and fly clothing to impress the Limanites, and I was ready to see the sites, even though I didn’t know them.

I was not suprised to see the heavy influence of American cooperations, although somewhat differenct than other countries I’ve visited. Lots of Dunkin Donuts, Payless Shoes, and KFC.  The architecture was beautiful and stoic, definitely influenced from the Spanish conquest. I got to see the Pacific Ocean for the first time, and I would highly recommend Miraflores for a great tourist area. You will find a Cat Park if you are not fond of felines, and I will admit that I succame to my urge for good coffee and got an Americano at Starbcuks (I apologize for my weakness). 

Other than trying to get part of our group lost on the way back, I quite enjoyed Lima.  The constant grey sky could grow on me, and I would love to spend time lounging in various parks and plazas.

Daily Dinámica: Ask a stranger! Our language class has had to do this for numerous activities, even in Lima. All of them have been extremely helpful and some are even inquisitive about who you are and why you are in Peru.


No comments:

Post a Comment