Saturday, August 6, 2011

FAMILY MATTERS


Noone ever really knows what to expect when they hear they are going to be living with a host family; like Mr. Gump said himself, boxes of chocolate are not always predictable.  So needless to say, the situations that arose out of the first few weeks living with them were more than note worthy. Some of my favorite stories are as follows:

Volunteer: I need to wash my hair.
Host Mom: No you don’t.

Of course my question in this scenario would be, why didn’t you just do it anyway. Her response being between the lack of spanish and the control of water coming from her host mother, she was at a stale mate.
No worries, she managed to get the job done a few weeks later.

Volunteer: I have flees
Host mom: Oh, there must be dogs at the training center
Volunteer: No
Host mom: Oh, you must be playing with dogs on your walk home
Volunteer: Nope
Host mom: Well it definitely couldn’t be our dog then.
Volunteer: Of course not

She managed to make a miraculous recovery from flee bites after administering a dose of flee powder to the beloved family pet.

Volunteer: I don’t eat meat
Host family: No problem! Here’s some chicken
Volunteer: Thanks, but I don’t eat meat
Host family: No worries, it’s just chicken

Oh the joys of explaining what one considers the definition of meat.

These are just a few that I found quite amusing, although something new pops up almost every week. 98% of our families are loving, caring, and protective. They love seeing us improve our Spanish and get to know the Peruvian culture. Just like all families, they are diverse, different and unique. I am not without my own “tontarías” while talking with my family. Let’s just say that I first thought my brother and sister were husband and wife. Luckily I figured out they were not before I said anything too foolish.

Daily Dinámica: Arbol de Família
Materials: pen and paper, and more paper, and a few more pieces of paper
Try and figure out if you can make a family tree of your host family. Most likely it will take a few hours, so grab a beer or two! Don’t forget that each person has about four names each, so do a few finger exercises before you get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment