Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Passing Time with Old Timers



One of the beautiful things about every country is that there are babies, kids, teens, adults, and old people…geriatics if you will, or viejos if you want to  be Peruvian. For those that truly know me, or have met me period. I love to talk, chat, and talk some more whenever I get the chance, so why would that change in another language? It does not. I have to say Peace Corps picked the right country for me, because this place really has some people that know how to..exercise their ability to extend their lung capacity. My favorite conversationalist are the viejos though, the elderly of Perú.

In any place on this planet, the viejos are the ones that have been there and done that.  They know what it was like when time began and how much the road they stand on has changed (literally and figuratively). Not really having grandparents growing up, it is a special treat to turn any random wrinkled woman lazing about into my future foster grandmother.

I am pretty sure I have seen Peru pass through the ages while talking to these vibrant women (usually a couple times since every stories is repeated like a scratched CD during your your favorite song). I have spoken to a man in his 100’s, women in their 80’s, and the stories are some of the most interesting, amusing, and informative in my three months here.

Juana Alua (85): She moved to La Libertad as a 10 year old because both of her parents died (one may have been murdered, I’m not sure) and she helped raise her brothers and sisters. She is still in good health and has few pains. She told me their were two types of pineapple…”blanco y colorado” white and colored. I got to hear about the various time periods of Peruvian history and the diffculties of a young woman in the 30’s and 40’s.

Oldest man in Perú (107): Looking good for his age, take this man’s advice. “Meat and chicken are shit; eat lots of fish, vegetables, and salads.” He actually pulled out his ID so that we could double check his real age.

Iliana (¿?): When she was a girl her mom made her a leather hat so that when she went and robbed oranges, she could keep her head safe. I am not sure why she would need protection, but she is somewhat deaf, so I could ask. Camaná, which has no oranges now, once had the sweetest and best oranges in all of Perú. She misses the variety of sugar cane that once grew here and is was suprised to see all the onions growing. (Even though her son-in-law owns an onion farm).

Daily Dinámica:  Timing Old Timers
Materials—your watch (or cell phone) and patience. As you begin a conversation with someone that is at least 75+ years old, start the stop watch. Be careful, you may think the conversation may end quite a few times, so be sure it is not just a long pause or they may just be starting over again, so hold out to the end. Take notes, they may be useful.


No comments:

Post a Comment